Getting the CCPU – The Essentials!
The Certificate in Clinician Performed Ultrasound
It takes some time and effort… but it will make you better at ultrasound AND you will become credentialed
and can teach/supervise other ultrasound users.
- Visit the ASUM Website to find current ASUM CCPU Documentation
- CCPU Course Brochure and Regulations
- CCPU Enrolment and Advanced Standing
- Physics Application Form
- FAQ and Fees
- CCPU Units
- Logbook Templates
- Assessor information
- CCPU Accredited Units
- Recertification information
2. Complete the ASUM Membership form $502/year and CCPU Enrolment form $579
(lasts you 3 years and during which time you can do as many CCPU modules as you like).
3. Choose the modules you wish to get the CCPU in.
(You can pick perhaps just eFAST and AAA, or be more adventurous and train in one of the 20 modules listed,
depending on your clinical needs.)
4. Complete an online Physics course.
(Can be the ASUM course or another accredited one.)
5. Complete an ASUM-accredited course in the modules of your choosing.
(Teaching companies include: AIU, ASMI, UTS amongst others)
6. Completed all practice requirements and submit the log book for the specialist units within two years of attending an accredited unit training, including directly supervised formative and summative scans.
(What’s the difference between formative and summative?? Read this…)
Supervision and Assessment
A nominated supervisor for training is recommended but is not mandatory for completion of the CCPU. However every scan requires review and signoff by a suitably qualified scan reviewer. This should occur at the time of the scan if possible, but review of recorded still images and cineloops is also acceptable.
Logbook assessors and assessors of summative and formative assessments should possess a CCPU in the relevant unit, DDU, FRANZCR, DMU or equivalent or be a sonographer registered by ASAR or NZ MRTB. Assessors must be practicing in the relevant area.
If you don’t have a friendly CCPU holder at your own hospital, ASUM do have a list of accredited people who may be kind enough to act as an assessor. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
7. The CCPU lasts 5 years after which time you need to get re-accredited with ASUM by documenting CPD points via myASUM CPD.
8. Enjoy the fruits of your efforts by knowing you are helping your patients and getting another certificate for your fridge door/living room/mantle piece.
You will also likely to become one of the ‘wave’ of PoCUS teachers of the next five years…
Well done and good luck!
Check the ASUM website for more details
and post any comments or questions below and we will endeavour to help answer them :)